Medical Red Binder System
The medical Red Binder System is an organization system to help you take an active role in your healthcare. This means putting the responsibility for good communication on both you and your doctor, which is even more important when you’re older. You may have more health conditions and treatments to discuss and understand, and your health has a big impact on other parts of your life. This all needs to be talked about in an effective way (Source: National Institute on Aging).
The Red Binders are used at all medical provider visits, as well as in emergency situations. First responders are aware of the binders, and know to look for them in obvious locations in the home (by the door, on the kitchen counter, etc.).
Each Red Binder contains the following forms (click on each to view and download):
- Emergency Medical Information Sheet
- Medication List
- Advance Directives Information Sheet
- Advance Directives Options: two options are included for review and decision. You are NOT REQUIRED to have advance directives in order to receive care, but completing one will assure you receive the care you desire. Discuss options with your family and providers. Unless desired you DO NOT need to complete both forms.
- Colorado MOST Form
- 5 Wishes Form (available for purchase on website; or, Eagle County seniors can obtain forms at the Eagle and Minturn senior sites)
- Click here for additional Advance Care Planning resources
- Personal Health Care Record forms
- Letter to healthcare providers explaining the system and Personal Health Care Record form
Red Binders are available at the Eagle and Minturn senior sites, or by contacting Pat Nolan at (970) 328-8831 or email@example.com.